About the Facilities and Our Virginia Residency at Big Lick North:
- Immaculate 90-acre property located 25 minutes west of downtown Charlottesville
- 11 large paddocks with run-in sheds and automatic waters
- 24/7 turnout
- Horses thoroughly checked twice daily at feeding time.
- Horses brought into stalls twice a week for grooming and anytime there is inclement weather.
- Scheduling of veterinarian and farrier visits and services as the Farm, in its discretion, determines is needed. Owner will establish an account with the Farm’s veterinarian.
- Residency boarding is $30 per day
- 3 year-round full-time farm staff (increase to 5 from April through September)
A Virginia-Certified horse is a horse registered by The Jockey Club, conceived and foaled outside of Virginia, but that maintains residency in Virginia for at least a six (6) month consecutive period prior to December 31st of its two-year-old year. (An interruption period for up to 14 days is allowed if the horse needs to leave for a horse sale or veterinary issue.)
The horse must maintain residency at a Virginia-Certified Farm or Training Center within the Commonwealth, where the horse can be available for inspection by a VACTP official. Virginia-Certified Farms and Training Centers have made an agreement with the VTA to participate in the Virginia-Certified Thoroughbred Program.
Incentives and Eligibility:
- OWNERS of Virginia-Certified horses are eligible for 25% Owners Bonuses for wins at Mid-Atlantic racetracks (NY, NJ, PA, DE, WV, MD & VA). Owners of Virginia-Certified horses that win races at National Steeplechase Association sanctioned meets in the Mid-Atlantic region (NY, NJ, PA, DE, WV, MD, VA) are eligible for a 25% purse bonus. Owners bonuses will not be paid for wins in Virginia-Bred, Virginia-Sired and/or Virginia-Certified restricted races. Bonuses are paid monthly. There is a $10,000 cap on any one award.
- In order to collect an owner’s bonus you must be a member of the Virginia Thoroughbred Association. If you are not currently a member, a $100 membership fee will be deducted from your award and you will be made a VTA member. We must also have a current W-9 on file before funds can be released. The VTA will make every effort to identify all Virginia-Certified winners, but ultimately it is the owner’s responsibility to notify the VTA when a registered Certified horse wins in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Virginia-Certified thoroughbreds are eligible for any Virginia-restricted race, except for Virginia restricted Black-Type stakes races where there are six (6) or more Virginia-Bred and/or Sired horses entered in the race. If less than 6 Virginia-bred and/or sired horses enter, Virginia Certified horses may be allowed to draw in but the race will immediately lose its black type status. Virginia-Certified horses are not eligible to earn black type in these restricted races, per the National Stakes Committee. Virginia-Bred and Sired horses will be preferred in Virginia restricted races.
Call Tyler Hood at 352-441-9401 to talk about availability.